What to do when involved in a car accident * – A SIMPLE GUIDE
Unfortunately, car accidents are a part of life. However there are ways to minimise the distress caused by them. Clients often tell us they feel as if events are out of their control. Here is a short guide to assist you in the early stages, after an accident, to help you retain control of events better.
As you will quite likely be in shock, we recommend that you print off this short, simple guide and store it in your glove box or bookmark it on your phone/ipad for quick and easy reference – What to do when involved in a car accident *.
1. SEE TO YOUR OWN MEDICAL NEEDS AND THOSE AROUND YOU. RING FOR AN AMBULANCE IF ANYONE HAS BEEN INJURED IN AN ACCIDENT *
2. NEVER ADMIT IT WAS YOUR FAULT AT THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT* .YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY DOES NOT PERMIT IT AND MAY NOT COVER YOU IF YOU DO.
3. RING THE GARDAI- IF THEY DON’T ATTEND THE SCENE, REPORT THE ACCIDENT * TO THE NEAREST GARDA STATION
4. DO NOT ALLOW ANY OF THE VEHICLES TO BE MOVED UNTIL THE GARDAI ARRIVE (UNLESS THE VEHICLES ARE CAUSING AN OBSTRUCTION)
5. KEEP A DISPOSABLE CAMERA IN YOUR CAR ( OR USE YOUR CAMERA PHONE) – TAKE PHOTOS OF THE ACCIDENT * SCENE, POSITION OF CARS, SKID MARKS ON ROAD, REGISTRATIONS, CONDITION OF ROAD BEFORE ANY CAR IS MOVED.
5. EXCHANGE DETAILS – NAME, ADDRESS, TELEPHONE NUMBER , CAR MAKE AND REGISTRATION, INSURANCE COMPANY AND POLICY NUMBER.
6. WITNESSES: MAKE SURE TO GET NAMES, ADDRESSES AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS OF ANY WITNESSES TO THE ACCIDENT*
7. UINSURED / HIT AND RUN ?– CONTACT YOUR SOLICITOR, IMMEDIATELY AS THESE CASES REQUIRE URGENT ATTENTION.
8. NOTIFY YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY IMMEDIATELY OF ALL ACCIDENTS *, EVEN IF IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT. IT IS A TERM OF YOUR POLICY THAT THEY ARE NOTIFIED.
9. GO TO HOSPITAL/YOUR GP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IF YOU FEEL INJURED/UNWELL.
10. KEEP A RECORD OF ALL OUT-OF- POCKET EXPENSES AND GET RECEIPTS WHERE POSSIBLE AS THESE CAN FORM PART OF YOUR CASE IF YOU DECIDE TO TAKE ONE.
11. CONTACT YOUR SPECIALISING PERSONAL INJURY * SOLICITOR, AS SOON AS YOU FEEL ABLE TO DO SO – ALWAYS WITHIN TWO MONTHS OF THE ACCIDENT * TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS.
THE ABOVE IS A SHORT SIMPLE GUIDE AND IS NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE. IT IS NOT TO BE RELIED ON AS SUCH. AS ALWAYS, YOU SHOULD SEEK THE ADVICE OF A SPECIALIST PERSONAL INJURY* LAWYER IF YOU HAVE BEEN INJURED IN A CAR ACCIDENT.
Etain Boyce is a specialist Personal Injury* solicitor with extensive experience acting for clients whohave sustained personal injuries in car accidents. She can advise you as to whether you have a claim and she can handle the Personal Injury* case on your behalf. Etain is happy to discuss any questions you might have on taking a case for Personal Injuries* on a No Obligation basis
Contact Etain on (074) 9890190 OR firstname.lastname@example.org
BOYCE KELLY SOLICITORS
*In contentious business a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.