074 98 90190 info@boycekelly.ie
[et_pb_ds_breadcrumbs _builder_version=”3.3.1″][/et_pb_ds_breadcrumbs]

Cohabitation Agreements & Civil Partnerships

If you and your partner live together but do not plan on getting married, you may consider a cohabitation agreement to protect your interests. If you are in a same-sex relationship, you may also be granted similar rights and protections as marriage through civil partnership. Following the introduction of the Marriage Act 2015, you can no longer register civil partnerships, but existing civil partners may marry or remain as they are. 

Our experienced family lawyers can advise on both cohabitation agreements and all matters related to civil partnerships, protecting your best interests at every stage. Head of our Family Law Department, family lawyer Etain Boyce has a significant amount of experience helping clients with family law matters. Contact us today by calling 0749890190 or complete our online enquiry form and we will get back to you right away. 

Civil Partnerships 

While you can no longer register a new civil partnership, existing civil partnerships can still encounter many legal difficulties. We regularly help civil partners with matters related to: 

Bringing a Civil Partnership to an End

Where your relationship breaks down, you may make the decision to end your civil partnership. If you and your partner can agree on the terms on which you will live separately, you may enter into a separation agreement. A separation agreement is a legally binding document which sets out the terms of your separation. Alternatively, you may wish to dissolve your civil partnership through the courts. The court may grant a decree of dissolution where civil partners meet certain requirements. 

Cohabitation Agreements 

If you choose to live with your partner but do not see yourself getting married, you may wish to protect your interests using a cohabitation agreement. The Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 provides that cohabiting couples may enter into a cohabitation agreement setting out financial matters. 

When can you enter into a cohabitation agreement?

You may enter into such an agreement either during the relationship, or after the relationship ends. Such an agreement will only be valid and recognised by the courts where both parties to the agreement have sought independent legal advice, or where they have had legal advice together and have subsequently waived their right to independent legal advice. In addition,  a cohabitation agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties in order to be legally binding. 

Contact our Cohabitation and Civil Partnerships Solicitors in Carrigart and Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

If you need advice or assistance with cohabitation agreements or legal matters related to civil partnerships, contact our team today. Based in Carrigart, our family lawyers help clients across Donegal, including Letterkenny, Ballybofey, Stranorlar, Buncrana, Donegal Town, Carndonagh, Dungloe, Gweedore and Killybegs.

To discuss your circumstances with our team, call us on 0749890190 or complete our online contact form and we will get back to you without delay.

*In contentious business, a legal practitioner shall not charge any amount in respect of legal costs expressed as a percentage or proportion of any damages (or other moneys) that may become payable to his or her client or purport to set out the legal costs to be charged to a junior counsel as a specified percentage or proportion of the legal costs paid to a senior counsel. A legal practitioner shall not without the prior written agreement of his or her client deduct or appropriate any amount in respect of legal costs from the amount of any damages or moneys that become payable to the client in respect of legal services that the legal practitioner provided to the client.

[et_pb_ds_breadcrumbs _builder_version="4.17.3" hover_enabled="0" global_colors_info="{}" admin_label="Breadcrumbs" sticky_enabled="0"][/et_pb_ds_breadcrumbs]


074 98 90190 or click on the button below to send a message

Family Law Cohabitation Agreements & Civil Partnerships